Letters & Gifts
Cards & Letters
We want to encourage every sponsor to communicate with his/her child through cards and letters. Remember that you are an important part of your child's support system. The impact that your love and kindness can have on your child is immeasurable. You truly make a difference in your child's life! Corresponding is a great way to form a relationship with your child.
When writing to your child, please be sensitive to the environment and culture in which your sponsored child lives and try not to talk about the material aspects of your life. Instead, tell your child about yourself, your family (include pets) and any interests you have. Include photos of yourself and your family. You might also let your child know that you are praying for him/her and provide encouragement especially in the area of education. Help them to understand the importance of remaining in school.
Cards and letters, along with other flat items that can fit in the envelope (photos, stickers, etc) can be sent free of charge.
All correspondence must be sent through the Horizon office and will be reviewed by our staff. Please be sure and observe the guidelines and restrictions outlined below.
Due to the costs associated with international shipping, small gifts are limited to what can fit into one quart-sized zipper baggie and must include $10 to cover shipping costs.
We are constantly amazed at the quantity and diversity of items that come in child packages. A number of common items are listed to the right for your reference.
You have the opportunity to send correspondence to your child three times each year. In order to have your letters and/or packages included, please have all items in our office by the following dates:
March 1 • June 1 • October 1
- Write Child's name and ID number on the outside of the envelope/baggie
- Pay shipping online or include in separate envelope
- Have items arrive at Horizon before deadline
- Do not include any restricted items
Mail or Deliver to:
350 JH Walker Drive
Pendleton, IN 46064
The following items may NOT be included in child packages.
- Personal contact information
- Nail Polish
- Toy weapons
- Lithium batteries
- Pocket knives with blades longer than 2 inches
Kayamandi, Western Cape (Child IDs starting in WCKA):
- Gum and candy
- Toothbrushes and toothpaste
Zambia (Child IDs starting in ZM):
- Reptile toys (snakes, lizards, etc.)
- Photos of you and your family
- Brightly colored postcards
- Coloring books and crayons
- Pencil Case
- Pencils; colored pencils
- Pencil sharpener
- Glue stick
- Flashlights (wind up)
- Small Bibles
- Children's books
- Diaries, journals, stationery
- Personal safety sirens
- Inexpensive jewelry (bracelets, necklaces, watches)
- Small stuffed animals or dolls
- Silly Putty
- Jump rope
- Headbands, hair pins, bandanas
- Toy cars
- Toiletry items (toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, brush, lip balm, lip gloss)
- Gum, hard candy