Types of Assets
Retirement Plans and IRAs
Retirement Plan balances and IRAs are often the largest source of taxable income when paid out to a beneficiary. When planning for the distribution of your assets, it is often better to make gifts from taxable assets to Horizon while giving other assets like real estate to loved ones.
Designating Horizon as a beneficiary of your life insurance can turn your modest premium payments into a significantly larger gift, maximizing your impact.
Donor Advised Funds
A Donor Advised Fund (DAF) allows you to transfer cash or other current assets to a charitable foundation, realizing significant tax benefits now while allowing you to support Horizon and other charities through grant recommendations out of your DAF in the years to come. You can even pass control of your fund to your loved ones to carry on your legacy of giving.
How to Designate Horizon as a Beneficiary
Making Horizon a beneficiary of your retirement plan, IRA, or life insurance policy is quite easy:
- Contact the institution that holds your account or policy and request a Change of Beneficiary Form. In many cases these can be downloaded directly from their website.
- Decide what percentage of the account value you would like for Horizon to receive.
- Name Horizon International, 350 JH Walker Dr., Pendleton, IN 46064, as a beneficiary.
- Name any additional beneficiaries.
- Submit the completed form back to the institution.
- Notify the beneficiaries so they can claim the assets at the appropriate time.